You were injured in an accident. If someone else, who owed a duty of care, was at fault, you can file a personal injury lawsuit, seeking compensation for your losses. From slip & fall accidents, car crashes, to product defects, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse – everything is covered under personal injury law. Colorado is a fault state. The party at fault must pay compensation to victims (through their insurance company). In the aftermath of an accident, you may feel overwhelmed wondering if you need to consult an attorney. In this post, we are sharing the pros and cons of hiring a personal injury lawyer in Colorado.
- A good lawyer can evaluate the worth of your personal injury claim. Just because you were injured doesn’t always mean you can ask for compensation. Let an attorney guide further on the merit of the claim.
- You also need an attorney to know get a realistic overview of the settlement you can expect. Some accident injuries may not be apparent immediately, and your lawyer can evaluate all aspects, to review the worth of your personal injury lawsuit.
- Your lawyer will guide on insurance claim. The claim should be filed within a reasonable time, and your attorney will ensure that it doesn’t get rejected because of shoddy paperwork.
- A personal injury lawyer can also help in negotiating with the insurance company. Keep in mind that insurance companies are often a tad ahead in rejecting claims, and claims adjusters often adhere to bad faith insurance tactics. You need an attorney, because you don’t want to deal with everything on your own.
- Finally, if your case eventually goes to trial, you will need a lawyer to represent you. Attorneys know what it takes to negotiate and handle a lawsuit, and they will not settle for anything less than what you deserve.
- The cost. Most personal injury lawyers will charge a contingency fee, which can be as high as 40% of the final settlement you get. This can impact your financial expectations.
- Not all lawyers are same, so if you end up hiring the wrong one, they may jeopardize your ability to get a fair settlement.
Obviously, the benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer in Colorado outweighs the cons, and you can always review your options. Check online now on websites like Avvo to find best-rated attorneys.